The One Reason Why You Should Use Formative Assessment in Your Class:
You need to know what the kids know and don't know. Format assessments are the tools you use to find this information out.
By the way, formative assessments are not graded and the information gathered is used to adjust instructio…
Steven Pressfield has created an amazing tool to help you deal with procrastination. It's his book called The War of Art.
Two Reasons Why You Need to Read The War of Art:
1. Steven Pressfield identifies procrastination by the name Resistance and then he tells you how that character speaks to us and…
Thumbs up/Thumbs down is not formative assessment. At best, it is a test of the waters that isn't very accurate. Formative Assessment is about learning what the kids know and don't know and then using that information to adjust instruction. By the way, remember that it isn't graded. Check out my li…
Do You Procrastinate? Well most of us suffer from this affliction. Sometimes it is kind of our thing. Well, Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy is chock full of 21 suggestions for overcoming procrastination.
3 Reasons Why You Should Read Eat That Frog:
1. The AWESOME Frog Analogy!
2. 21 Suggestions ... 21…
3 Reasons You Should Read Full Classrooms, Empty Selves by Jeremy S. Adams.
1. Jeremy's Passion for the classroom will inspire you.
2. You will connect and identify with his concerns about teaching.
3. His thoughts about the role of the school in a democratic society will set your brain on fire.
You know sometimes we have accidents or mishaps and sometimes we just need a change of clothing to wake us up. So here are my Top 8 Items to Keep at Work
1. Extra Shirt
2. Extra Undershirt
3. Extra Pair of Socks
4. Extra Shoes
5. An Extra Tie
6. A Small Sewing Kit
7. Safety Pins
8. A Stain Stick
As the school day wears on, it is possible that you could use some new energy. Maybe your are drained and you need to do something that will give you back some of that first class of the day energy, well her are my 5 Grooming Tips for Helping You Get Through the Day...and by the way the kids will t…
Most classrooms have walls. Too often there is just stuff on those walls. You are missing out. The walls can talk and help you accelerate your kids. Here are my 5 Ways to Use Your Classroom Walls for Instructional Support.
2. Looking Back
4. Examples of How to Do
Don't abuse your substitute teachers.
Always have a current sub folder ready for that day when you unexpectedly have to be out of the building.
Here are 7 items that you should include in your folder:
1. Seating Chart
2. Bell Schedule
3. Emergency Procedures (Include a map if possible)
4. How to Ta…
Procedures are how we do things in the classroom. They become routines when we do them over and over again.
Here are my Top 5 Procedures:
1. Starting and Ending Class.
2. How the kids get to use the restroom.
3. Transitioning between activities.
4. How do I know what to do when I have been absent.…
Staying in touch with parents can be one of those things that you just have to make yourself do...but you should want to and here are a few reasons why:
1. Positive Contact-Positive Contact-Positive Contact
2. Makes You Human
3. Nip it in the Bud- address behaviors before they get worse
It is important to stand at your door between classroom changes. Here are 3 Reasons Why You Should Greet Kids at Your Classroom Door:
1. Connect with the kids
2. Test the Waters or know what and who is coming through your door.
3. Set the tone for your class-It's showtime!
Kip Jones has written a wonderful series of books that address difficult character situations. He uses a graphic novel style that is written in rhyme. The books are colorful and readily connect with the lives of children. The stories center around Willie and his friends.
Learn more about Mr. Jones…
Hi. My name is Steve Miletto. I will be posting video reviews of teaching and leading books as well as tips for the classroom and the building administrator. Make sure you check out my other social media locations. See the links on the cover photo above. Also I would love to have you visit and subs…
1. Easy to read, understand, and use.
2. In the introduction, he reflects on a misguided belief that has to do with a perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe.
3. His 6 Habits
Mindset is the #1 Key. Remembering why you became a teacher and then putting it in your heart and head as you prepare for that first day of school is the #1 Key. Mindset.
3 Reasons Why I Like this Book:
1. It's about optimism.
2. It's easy to understand.
3. It emphasizes building relationships.